Mocha Poundcake with Coffee Cream "Frosting"

I really like Bette Hagman's gluten free cookbooks, and frequently open up her "Gluten-Free Gourmet Cooks Comfort Food" book. The flour mixes she lists in the front of the book are my standard when I'm being creative (Featherlight is my favorite) but I am really bad at following any recipe to the letter. My featherlight mix doesn't include potato flour, and it's only "approximately" thirds of tapioca and rice flours and cornstarch. But, nonetheless, her recipes spark my creative cooking side and I often make some absolutely delicious treats from items in her books.

Tonight is Caleb's suprise birthday party, so I wanted to make something to take with us. His wife, Heather, if making a carrot cake, but since there are quite a few of us that can't partake in that gluten-laden treat, I decided to make something delicious and different.

We had some Sumatra Peace Coffee left over from breakfast this morning, so I whipped up some whole whipping cream, a few tablespoons of sugar, and a healthy serving of cold coffee to make a delicious frosting of sorts. I then modified Bette's Three Ginger Pound Cake recipe for a coffee chocolate cake.

Like I said, I am not an engineer when it comes to the kitchen. I hate measuring things exactly, and I eyeball just about everything. It's not surprising that anything I make can't be duplicated in the future. But, this recipe is easy and quick. Here goes:

Mix the dry stuff:
1 cup Featherlight mix (I used 1/3 c.'s each rice flour, tapioca flour, and cornstarch)
1/2 Teff flour (I used dark, recipe calls for light... but with the "coffee infusion" I figured having a darker color was well suited)
1 tspn xanthan gum
1 tsp baking powder
1/4tsp salt

Cream the wet stuff in the stand mixer on high for 5 min:
2/3 c butter (I bought a 1lb block of butter, and used ~1/4 slice of it. Not sure how much that was, but it was good enough)
1 1/3c sugar
Healthy splash of Madagascar vanilla
2tbsp cold coffee
3 eggs

Add the dry mix to the wet mix in the stand mixer alternatively with 1/2 c whole cream. In a bread pan that has been coated with melted butter (or cooking spray), dust with Teff flour and sugar. Pour in batter, bake in oven at 350F for ~1hr. Then, sprinkle the cake with milk chocolate chips and bake for another 15mins. Do not overcook. The chips should be added when the cake is almost done (stick a knife in, should come out *almost* clean).

Then, let the cake cool at room temp. Flip over onto serving platter so chocolate chips are underneath cake.

In a stand mixer, whip the whipping cream (1/2 pint) and add sugar (I probably used 1/4c). Add 1/2c cold coffee. Whip until soft peaks form, keep refrigerated! Serve the cake with dollops of whipped cream on top.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yum, I will definitely try this. The coffee whipped cream sounds like I'd want to eat it right out of the bowl. Thanks for this recipe!

Megan L. Killian said...

I DID eat it right out of the bowl!! Yummmmm :-D