Ready for 2010?

Whether you are ready for it or not, Two-thousand-and-ten is just 25 days away. I don't really buy into the whole New-Year's-Resolution thing, but I do believe in setting goals and have already vowed to make a few changes in my training and racing strategies for next season.

Instead of thinking about the New Year as the time to "start over" though, I end up thinking about it as just another day. Perhaps I am on some different calendar. To me, the refresh button is hit when the season ends. That was on October 18th, the day after the Columbus Marathon. I took some time off from serious training, slept in for about a week straight (ok, maybe two), and just generally enjoyed the fact that I wasn't responsible for accomplishing any athletic feats for the next six months. My next race, the Salt Lake City Marathon, isn't until April, exactly half a year after Columbus. Oddly enough, I didn't even plan it like that!


Anyway, I digress. When Columbus was over, I hit reset, cleared out all the junk in my legs, reformatted my digital training log (seen to the right), and outlined my goals for 2010. I wrote them down. I decided that my plans for the 2010 race season(s) will include:
  • Keeping track of weekly swim/bike/run mileage
  • More racing
  • Less whining
Keeping track: I've always done a piss-poor job of keeping track of my mileage. I do a good job at first, but then I just stop adding up the hours/mileage and end up making guesses about a month in. For my next training block, I have my Excel file set up to automatically add the mileage for me. I just have to enter each workout. I should be doing that anyway, right? I even color-coded my training blocks and periodization, which makes for an easy-to-follow training plan. For example, lime green means "build" period, low intensity, long stuff.

Racing: I raced a lot last year, but they were mostly shorter running events. I also want to do more triathlons in 2010, because right now I only have three under my belt. With Triple T and Rev3 Cedar Point on deck, I will have a longer race season than 2009, so hopefully that opens up more opportunities.

Stop yer whining: I just gotta buck up and do it. No excuses.

For the next racing season, I'm also going to focus more on nutrition and general health. I have to pack my lunch more, and get enough of the right calories. Luckily, the MUB now has salads for people that are actually pretty delicious (and gluten free). I need to stay hydrated, get 8hrs of sleep a night. Not that I didn't already have a good grasp on my training and health in 2009. I was strict about my gluten free diet. But there were definitely times when, on Fridays, I'd come home from work starving, cranky, and unable to do anything until I ate something substantial. It took me a while to figure out how to fuel for Ironman training on a sans-gluten diet. But I never had any gastrointenstinal (GI) problems when triathlon racing. It was a magical race-day experience for me after my first triathlon when I didn't succumb to the rumors that I'd feel like absolute butt (forgive my French). I am a firm believer that this can be - at least partially - attributed to my gluten free diet.

So, I guess instead of saying I have a New Year's Resolution, I should clarify. I have a New Race Resolution. Every race I compete in is new compared to the last. It's not necessarily a second chance, it's just a new opportunity to see what I can do. It's a way to learn from mistakes, implement new ideas and strategies, get to the next level. What's your next Race Resolution?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice, serious post! I agree...better nutrition, more sleep and more hydration. All important stuff. Thanks for the comment on my blog...does the beach scene match the snowflakes??!! Oh well, it's the snow I miss but I do love the beach...

libgyrl said...

I love excel + sporty stuff! Training plans, training logs, results logs...reminds me I better spend some time with excel. Go go Megan!

KimNixon said...

I have been having GI and spasm issues after some runs. Being a newbie I do not know what to think. Mostly this occurs if I eat eggs after a run. But I have had chills and abdominal spams and intestinal spams after a race (only a 5k--shore run). These usually happen 1-2 hours after a long or intense run and are over with in 8 hours. I have done enough tracking to know my times are slower before a spasm episode. The only other constant is having eggs or french toast. But it has happened when I did not eat eggs. It's a mystery so far.

Samantha said...

I also need to record better. I'm miserable at it.

I want to figure out good nutrition for marathons. I'm going to be trying out some different gels on long runs since another friend of mine swears by them and is convinced that's what I need. I'm just not taking enough in with my Shot Bloks, I don't think.

Megan L. Killian said...

Kim- You might want to try a "safe" diet, to see whats upsetting your stomach. Exclude the foods you think might be triggers completely (maybe if eggs are really the culprit, french toast is not safe), for a good week before the race. See if that helps?

Sam- I think I have mine. I have been using the Honeystinger chews with much success. They are softer than the Clif blocks and I think I can chew them easier. I used them at Columbus and didn't feel like I wanted to puke, anyway. :-D

Amy Reinink said...

I love this: "Every race I compete in is new compared to the last." That's my new race resolution, too! In addition, I'm trying to lessen the pressure on myself to nail some certain pace, focusing instead on the experience of racing. This led to an unexpectedly fast 5K a few weeks ago, and I'm hopeful it'll help me get my groove back in longer races as well!